Parenting can be joyous and rewarding as well as challenging. As parents meet the many demands faced by families today, they often need support to supplement their own knowledge and skills. The South Orange - Maplewood School District has established The Parenting Center to support parents as they help their children grow and develop.
The Parenting Center grew out of community requests expressed in many focus groups and surveys conducted by Schools for Success, a district educational research project funded by the Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation.
The Center's goal is to be a dynamic resource in our community addressing the full range of children's needs and parent's
We are here to support parents and families in our school district. Participation is voluntary, free and on an "as needed" basis.
- Come and use our library of parenting literature and videos.
- Join us at our evening speaker series addressing parents' most common concerns.
- Participate in one of our parenting support groups.
- Make use of our directory of local, state and national resources available to parents.
- Share your ideas and resources by participating in our Parent Information Exchange.
This year's events include:
- Curriculum Night with District Supervisors and Staff
- Ungifted - Intelligence Redefined: The Truth About Talent, Practice, Creativity and the Many Paths to Greatness with author Scott Barry Kaufman
- Video Screening - How Difficult Can this Be? The F.A.T. City Workshop
- Protecting Our Children Online: Internet Safety, Cyberbullying and Texting with Joshua Wilson, Special Agent with the F.B.I.
- Video Screening - From Fatherless to Fatherhood: Because Families Matter with our own Assistant Principal Mr. Kevin Mason
- Elementary Town Hall Meeting with Superintendent Dr. Osborne
- Getting Ready for Middle School
- “Always Changing” - 5th Grade Health Film and Q&A